Quintessential Study Skills Pledge
Call it a promise, plan, or credo -- just do it! Taking this pledge will help empower you to greater academic success.
by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- I pledge to perform at my highest level at all times. I want to succeed in my studies.
- I pledge to maximize my academic strengths while overcoming my weaknesses.
- I pledge to take control of my academic career -- and take responsibility for its success or failure.
- I pledge to understand my learning styles -- and exploit this understanding to my advantage.
- I pledge to strive for a healthy mind and body -- eating well and
attempting to stay healthy.
- I pledge to read and comprehend the syllabus from every class I take.
- I pledge to actively attend every class -- taking good notes and participating
in class activities and discussion.
- I pledge to perfect a time management system that keeps me aware of
all my upcoming assignments, tests, and projects.
- I pledge to complete all assigned readings and homework assignments --
and to complete them on time rather than procrastinating.
- I pledge to find a study method that works for me -- and use it to study on a daily basis.
- I pledge to not wallow in my academic mistakes -- instead, staying positive
and learning from them so I can become a better student.
- I pledge to use the academic resources my college has to offer me and
seek assistance when I need it.
- I pledge to get to know -- and be known by -- at least some of my professors.
- I pledge to remember that academic success does not always equate
to learning, nor does learning always result in academic success.
- I pledge to work hard so I can play hard -- rewarding myself when I achieve academic success.
Questions about some of the terminology used in this article? Get more information (definitions and links) on key academic terms by going to our College Success Glossary.
Dr. Randall S. Hansen is founder and CEO of EmpoweringSites.com, a network of empowering and transformative Websites, including MyCollegeSuccessStory.com. Dr. Hansen has been empowering people his entire adult life -- to help them achjieve success and lead better their lives. In fact, empowerment is part of his professional philosophy statement. He is also founder of EnhanceMyVocabulary.com and EmpoweringRetreat.com. He is a published author, with several books, chapters in books, and hundreds of articles. He's often quoted in the media and conducts empowering workshops around the country. Dr. Hansen is also an educator, having taught business and marketing at the college level for more than 15 years. Learn more by visiting his personal Website, RandallSHansen.com or reach him by email at CEO(at)empoweringsites.com. You can also check out Dr. Hansen on GooglePlus.